As one of the oldest companies in the world, going back over 200 years old, British Gas is the current leading energy supplier in the UK market with over 500,000 businesses and over 11.6 million UK homes being supplied with gas and energy each year.
Operating in 20 countries in the UK and Ireland as well as North America, Ukraine, Brazil and even Hong Kong as a third party distributor or legal entity and personnel. British Gas is a huge player in the energy market. Today, British Gas engages in the transition to lower carbon energy and renewable resources, and encourage other companies to do the same with post top financial incentives for businesses going green.
British Gas is owned by Centrica, an international energy services and solutions company. They share British Gas’ ideals and even submitted 15 goals to contribute to a more sustainable world by 2030.
Which comparison site gave British Gas a star rating on a number of aspects of their business, as seen below. It’s clear that they still have a long way to go, and the website itself suggests that comparison sites are better for finding the cheapest deal than interacting with the company directly; they say that it is rare for firms to market their cheapest options on their own website, in comparison to those finding them through a third party. British Gas did not fall into this category, though, and was one of six companies checked who had in fact listed their cheapest price online.
|Bill Accuracy||Customer Service||Complaints handling||Digital tools||Value for money||Customer Score||Procedures & practices score|
Customer Service Issues
There have been reports highlighting negative incidents involving British Gas, revolving around customer complaints and dissatisfaction regarding the company’s customer service and billing practices. Here’s an overview of the situation:
- Customer Service Concerns: Some British Gas customers have expressed frustration with the company’s customer service, citing difficulties in reaching a representative, long waiting times, and inadequate resolution of their issues. Prompt and efficient customer service is crucial in maintaining customer satisfaction, and British Gas has faced criticism in this area.
- Billing Errors: Several customers have reported billing errors and discrepancies in their energy bills. These issues include incorrect meter readings, delayed billing, and inaccurate charges. Such errors can lead to financial inconvenience and inconvenience for customers, eroding trust in the supplier.
- Complaint Handling: Complaints regarding British Gas’s handling of customer complaints have also surfaced. Some customers feel that their concerns were not adequately addressed or resolved in a timely manner, resulting in further frustration and dissatisfaction.
- Communication Issues: Communication breakdowns between British Gas and its customers have been another point of contention. Lack of clear and timely communication about billing issues, tariff changes, and updates has left some customers feeling uninformed and dissatisfied.
- Impact on Customer Experience: These negative experiences can have a significant impact on the overall customer experience with British Gas. Unresolved complaints, billing errors, and poor customer service can lead to customer churn and tarnish the reputation of the supplier.
It’s important to note that British Gas acknowledges the challenges it faces and has committed to addressing these issues. The company is actively working to improve its customer service, enhance billing accuracy, and streamline complaint resolution processes. British Gas understands the importance of customer satisfaction and is striving to regain the trust of its customers.
If you have experienced any issues with British Gas, it is recommended to reach out to their customer service department for assistance. They have dedicated teams available to address customer concerns and provide support in resolving any outstanding issues.
The British Gas board of directors includes:
Scott Wheway – Chairman of the Board of Nominations Committee
Previously SES Committee Scott Wheway joined the board of British Gas in May 2016. He has a wealth of experience after working in retail for 27 years, including roles of chief executive officer at Best Buy Europe, director of The Boots Company plc and numerous executive positions at Tesco plc, including Chief executive of Tesco in Japan.
Millstream Maidenhead Road Windsor, SL4 5GD United Kingdom
Chris O’Shea – Group Chief Executive
Joining in November 2018, Chris O’Shea came from an extensive background of huge multi-national organisations including both work in the energy sector and technology industry.
01784 874994 (direct)
Johnathan Ford – Group Chief Financial Offer
In June 2020, Johnathan Ford was added to the board of directors at Centrica. Johnathan for has vast experience in numerous different sectors, including most recently COO at Homeserve. Jonathan stepped down from his post on January 18th for ‘personal reasons’, and will not continue into February. Read about it here.
British Gas also own Hive, Dyno-rod, AlertMe
Centrica’s Group Financial Summary (year ended December 2019) claimed £1,830m in total customer energy consumption for this year. The same report highlighted customer satisfaction
The Future Is Bright
In recent positive news about British Gas, the energy supplier has been actively working to provide its customers with excellent service, innovative solutions, and competitive energy tariffs. Here are some highlights:
- Enhanced Online Account Experience: British Gas has been focused on improving its online account services, allowing customers to conveniently manage their energy accounts, submit meter readings, and view their energy usage. This digital platform provides customers with greater control and transparency over their energy consumption.
- Fixed Energy Deals: British Gas has introduced a range of fixed energy deals, offering customers price certainty and protection against future price rises. These fixed tariffs are designed to provide peace of mind and help customers budget their energy costs effectively.
- Smart Meter Rollout: British Gas is actively involved in the smart meter rollout across England, Scotland, and Wales. Smart meters offer customers real-time information about their energy usage, enabling them to make informed decisions and potentially reduce their energy consumption. The company is dedicated to equipping its customers with the latest energy-saving technologies.
- Focus on Renewable Energy: British Gas is committed to supporting renewable energy sources and reducing carbon emissions. The company has been actively expanding its renewable energy offerings, allowing customers to choose greener energy options that align with their environmental values.
- Customer Service Excellence: British Gas places great importance on delivering exceptional customer service. The company has customer service teams readily available to answer inquiries, address concerns, and provide assistance throughout the energy journey. They strive to ensure a positive customer experience and help customers find the best energy solutions for their needs.
- Competitive Tariffs and Energy Deals: British Gas regularly reviews its tariffs and energy deals to provide customers with competitive options. They aim to offer flexible tariffs that suit different customer preferences, ensuring that customers can find the best energy plan to meet their specific requirements.
- Commitment to Innovation: British Gas is actively exploring new technologies and innovative solutions to improve energy efficiency and customer experience. They invest in research and development to stay at the forefront of the energy industry and provide customers with the latest advancements.
These recent positive developments demonstrate British Gas’s ongoing commitment to delivering high-quality service, competitive energy tariffs, and innovative solutions to its customers. By continuously improving its offerings and embracing renewable energy, British Gas aims to meet the diverse needs of its customers while contributing to a sustainable energy future.
- The energy system is becoming more decentralised as advances in distributed technologies support decarbonisation;
- Choice, power and influence are moving to the customer; and
- Digitalisation is accelerating proposition development, increasing choice and driving efficiency across our sector”
Stakeholders are made up of customers, colleagues and shareholders.
Survey receives feedback from over 20,000 customers per month
They claim that having a diverse and inclusive workforce allows for increased insight. Joan Gillman, Non-Executive Director was gifted the role as somewhat of a face for board of employees, and moved on to act on improving employee concerns, including their desire to feel more connected to the company’s strategy.
In 2022, British Gas’s adjusted operating profit witnessed a reduction to £72 million, marking a 39% decrease from the £118 million recorded in 2021.
Concurrently, the company experienced a rise in its count of residential customers, reaching 7.5 million customers, reflecting a 4% increase compared to the previous year. This data was reported on February 16, 2023.
Employee engagement fell by 12, possibly due to feeling a lack of connection to the company strategy.