One in six people are unlikely to switch off their heating before they go on holiday, and a tenth don’t turn off their hot water
- A third of people say waiting for the house to warm up is one of the worst things about returning home after holiday, and one in five say waiting for hot water is also a post-holiday pain
- With millions of people planning a winter holiday, E.ON Touch could help people control their heating and hot water whether they’re at home or away
With an estimated
one in five (19%) Brits taking a winter holiday last year1, research
from E.ON2 reveals that turning off the heating and hot
water come low down on the going away to-do list for many people.
When asked about
the things they’re least likely to do before they go on holiday, the survey
A third of people (35%) say they’re unlikely to empty the fridge before heading off on their holidays;
- A fifth (18%) don’t clean or tidy the house;
- One in six (16%) are unlikely to switch off the heating;
- A tenth don’t turn off the hot water (12%);
- One in ten fail to take the rubbish out (9%).
What’s more, a
fifth (19%) of people choose to leave their heating on for their pets when they
go away, with dogs (51%) and cats (33%) being the most pampered pets.
The habit of
leaving home heating and hot water on while holidaying could be due to the fact
that a third (32%) of people say waiting for their house to warm up is one of
the worst things about returning home, with a fifth (19%) hating the wait for
But with E.ON
Touch – a new system which allows
customers to remotely control both their heating and hot water anytime and
anywhere with the use of a smartphone app3 – people can better
control their energy use and avoid waste whether they’re at home or away.
David Bird, Residential and Customer Operations
Director at E.ON, said: “We all know how stressful
going on holiday can be and how unwelcoming it is to come back to a cold house
with no hot water. So it’s perhaps
unsurprising that many people choose to leave their heating and hot water on
while they’re away.
“The brilliant thing
about E.ON Touch is that it’s one less thing to worry about during the pre-holiday
panic as you can choose to sort your home heating and hot water programming out
while you’re on your way to the airport, after you’ve checked in, or even on the
beach. With heating and
hot water accounting for over three quarters of a typical household’s energy use4,
this is a great way to help people stay in control of their energy use and
E.ON Touch is
available for E.ON customers in certain locations within the wider Midlands,
East Anglia and the Welsh borders5.
E.ON Touch costs
£199.99 and customers can choose to pay with either a one off payment or via a
payment plan made up of £49.99 upfront and three instalments of £50 per quarter
for the next 12 months.
To find out more
about E.ON Touch, including Terms and Conditions, visit eonenergy.com/touch.
Notes to editors
- Research conducted for E.ON with 1,000 UK adults in March 2015 by OnePoll;
- Must be an Android or IOS smartphone;
- Source: E.ON;
- E.ON Touch is available in Birmingham, Bristol, Coventry, Crewe, Derby, Doncaster, Dudley, Gloucester, Hereford, Leicester, Lincoln, Llandrindod Well, Lincoln, Luton, Oxford, Manchester, Milton Keynes, Northamptonshire, Nottingham, Peterborough, Sheffield, Stockport, Stoke on Trent, Telford, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Worcester.
- In order for customers to remotely control their hot water, their home must have a hot water tank;
- E.ON Touch must be professionally installed by an E.ON approved heating engineer.
For more information contact:
02476 181 308, firstname.lastname@example.org
(including any forecasts or projections) contained in this press release (the
“Information”) reflects the views and opinions of E.ON on the date of
this press release. The Information is
intended as a guide only and nothing contained within this press release is to
be taken, or relied upon, as advice. E.ON
makes no warranties, representations or undertakings about any of the
Information (including, without limitation, any as to its quality, accuracy,
completeness or fitness for any particular purpose) and E.ON accepts no liability whatsoever
for any action or omission taken by you in relation to the Information. Any
reliance you place on the Information is solely at your own risk. This press release is the property of E.ON
and you may not copy, modify, publish, repost or distribute it. © E.ON 2015
Source:: Winter holidays and home heating habits