The Business Basics Fund, a series of open competitions, is the main element of the Business Basics Programme. The fund aims to build evidence on how to encourage SMEs to adopt productivity boosting technology and/or management practices. It is administered by Innovate UK on behalf of BEIS.
Second round now closed
Under the second round of the Business Basics Fund, for which a total of up to £2 million is available, we are funding 2 types of project: trials and proof of concept. This round is now closed for applications. Details of the successful projects (due to start on 1 September 2019) will be published here.
Rules and guidance applying to both types of project
- all project work must be carried out in England
- all selected projects must start by 1 September 2019 and can last up to a year
- further guidance and help on evaluation / finding partners available via the above links
- we will hold a networking event and an evaluation masterclass
Trial projects - non-business or business led
- aiming to generate robust evidence on the most effective approaches, and build an understanding of the short, medium and long-term impacts of these approaches
- grant funding of up to £400,000 per project
- you must have an evaluation plan, and, ideally, an evaluation partner
- non-business led trials - where the lead applicant is a public sector organisation, a university, or research and technology organisation (RTO), a charity, or a not for profit company. Businesses can participate as collaborators but cannot be the lead applicant: use appropriate link above
- business-led trials - where the lead applicant is a business: use appropriate link above
Proof of Concept projects
- ideas at an earlier stage of development
- grant funding of up to £60,000 per project
Further funding opportunities
Details of future funding opportunities will appear on this page.