Telephone: 0131 610 1688

Detailed guide: The Netherlands: providing services after Brexit

The authoritative source for Dutch market regulations is the Dutch government. This guidance links to official Dutch sources wherever possible.

Dutch trade and services regulations

If you’re a UK business providing services in the Netherlands, you’ll need to follow Dutch regulations about:

  • getting authorisations or licences to provide a service
  • complying with local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

Use the Dutch e-government portal for service providers to:

  • find out about providing services in the Netherlands
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in the Netherlands to help you comply with specific regulations. You can also contact your local chamber of commerce for advice.

To find out if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

VAT on sales of digital services

Businesses can use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to Dutch consumers made before Brexit.

If you wish to continue to use MOSS after the UK leaves the EU, you will need to register for MOSS in an EU member state.

Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of companies registered in the Netherlands

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a registered company in the Netherlands or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

UK legal professionals who have investments in law firms in the Netherlands should contact the Netherlands Bar for information on what a no-deal Brexit means for your investment.

Business travel and entry requirements

See the latest information on business travel to the EU after Brexit.

The Netherlands Immigration and Naturalisation Service has more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

If you’re sending employees to the Netherlands, they may need to make social security contributions in both the UK and the Netherlands.

Find out when you will need to pay social security contributions in the UK, EU and EFTA countries.

Recognition of professional qualifications

Find out if you need to take action by reading our general guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in the Netehrlands, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in the Netherlands

For UK statutory auditors, the Netherlands Authority for the Financial Markets should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in the Netherlands

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in the Netherlands, either using a Dutch or UK professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the Netherlands Bar Council for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

You may need to take action. Find out if you need to take action by reading our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

You may need to deal with the lead supervisory authority in the Netherlands. Find out more information from Autoriteit Persoonsgegevens , the Dutch lead data protection authority.

Stay up to date

The UK will leave the EU on 31 October. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit. It will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

For more information about this post and how Energy Solutions can help with your Electricity, Gas, or Water, click on the links, or check out the contact details at the bottom of the page.