Telephone: 0131 610 1688

Detailed guide: Estonia: providing services after Brexit

The authoritative source for Estonian market regulations is the Estonian government. This guidance links to official Estonian sources wherever possible.

Estonian trade and services regulations

If you’re a UK business providing services in Estonia, you’ll need to follow Estonian regulations about:

  • getting authorisations or licences to provide a service
  • complying with specific local business regulations
  • EEA nationality requirements which could prevent you from providing services in some sectors

The Estonian e-government portal for service providers can help you to:

  • find out what you need to know about providing services in Estonia
  • understand local regulations
  • complete the relevant administrative procedures online

Consider appointing an English-speaking lawyer in Estonia to help you comply with specific regulations.

To find out if EEA nationality requirements apply to you, contact the appropriate competent authority.

VAT on sales of digital services

Businesses can use the UK’s VAT Mini One Stop Shop (MOSS) to declare sales of digital services to Estonian consumers made before Brexit. If you wish to continue to use MOSS after the UK leaves the EU, you will need to register for MOSS in an EU member state. Find out more about paying VAT on sales of digital services.

Ownership of companies registered in Estonia

If you have a UK business, you might face restrictions on your ability to own, manage or direct a company registered in Estonia or any other EEA country.

Read more about this in our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

Business travel and entry requirements

See the latest information on business travel to the EU after Brexit.

The Estonian Ministry of Economic Affairs and Communications and Police and Border Guard websites have more information about:

  • visas including intra-corporate transfers
  • work and residence permits
  • supporting documentation
  • other conditions

Social security payments for employees

If you’re sending employees to Estonia, they may need to make social security contributions in both the UK and Estonia. Find out when you will need to pay social security contributions in the UK, EU and EFTA countries.

Recognition of professional qualifications

Find out if you need to take action by reading our general guidance relating to the EU and EFTA countries.

If you need to take action to secure the recognition of your professional qualification in Estonia, these sources can help you:

UK statutory auditors working in Estonia

For UK statutory auditors, the Estonian Auditing Activities Oversight Board (site in Estonian) should be able to provide further information.

UK lawyers working in Estonia

If you’re a UK-qualified lawyer working in Estonia, using either a Estonian or UK professional title, you should contact the local Bar association in the region in which you are working or the Estonian Bar Association for specific advice.

Data transfer and GDPR

You may need to take action. Find out if you need to take action by reading our guidance relating to the EEA and Switzerland.

You may need to deal with the Estonian lead data protection authority – the Estonian Data Protection Inspectorate.

Stay up to date

The UK will leave the EU on 31 October. This page tells you how to prepare for Brexit. It will be updated if anything changes, including if a deal is agreed.

Sign up for email alerts to get the latest information.

For more information about this post and how Energy Solutions can help with your Electricity, Gas, or Water, click on the links, or check out the contact details at the bottom of the page.